Sunday, October 13, 2013

Flux Pavilion - Not at The Observatory, though

This weekend has been a crazy one - finally visited my alma mater UC Santa Barbara to hang out with some friends and got a speeding ticket on my way home Friday night. And as excited as I was, and as bummed as I am now, that I missed Flux Pavilion and Cookie Monsta last night at The Observatory, the world had been giving me signals that it would be a bad idea (not least of all the fact I never actually received my ticket in the mail). So I figured I would do a retrospective on Flux in lieu of attending his show last night.




To be quite honest, I didn't really dig Flux Pavilion's Blow The Roof EP the first time I listened to it. However, missing last night's show got me to listen to it again and it's actually just what I would expect from the arguable master-of-basslines. My favorite track is definitely "I Still Can't Stop." I first heard it played by the man himself at his Bassrush vs. Circus show at the Hollywood Palladium last May and then again by FuntCase at the HOB Sunset. It takes the amazing bassline from the original "I Can't Stop" and re-works it into a more dynamic and versatile club banger. Just like the Internet Friends VIP, this track improves upon the original by a huge margin.

But "I Still Can't Stop" isn't even close to my favorite track of his that has been recently released. Even though it was [just a bit] over a year ago since it was released, "Daydreamer" is one of my all-time favorite tracks by Flux.



Example's vocals are sultry and sweet, and Flux has the musical talent to accentuate it even further. Between the sharp kick-snare pattern and the magical piano arrangement playing behind the scenes, the hard-hitting bassline that just hits your core like a ton of bricks, or the high-pitched synths during the interlude, the song is beautifully mastered, written and executed. And then, my god... the final breakdown. The tempo change is neither needed, nor asked for, and yet he gives it to us. Because Flux is just that awesome.

But my absolute favorite track of his has got to be "Lines In Wax."



Released just as Circus Records was getting off the ground, this collaboration with Foreign Beggars came before all of the controversy over brostep versus dubstep versus whatever else. Making excellent use of empty space, just as like some world-renowned painters, he lets the listener fill in the gaps and lets his skill speak for itself. Foreign Beggars puts forward one of their most memorable rips, "You know we were born to do this thing" and the amount of love this track has gotten supports that.

Now for some actual news about Flux Pavilion, he has recently confirmed on his Twitter that there will be a new EP sometime this month!




This honestly makes me even more disappointed that I missed last night's show, because he probably threw down some new tracks from it. And they were probably pretty dope.

No comments:

Post a Comment