Saturday, October 26, 2013

Doctor P / Zomboy / Terravita / Evol Intent @ Pomona Fairplex


So let's start off with how awesome Rob Zombie is for organizing this whole thing. Not only does he create some of the most original haunted house mazes I've had the pleasure of going through, he makes sure that people get a show with their ticket every night. November 1st, Destroid and Dirtyphonics are playing, and as much as I would absolutely kill myself to go to that show, I would probably be doing just that as I have HARD Day of the Dead the next two nights. But for now, let's get on with the main attraction of the night.

First up for the night was Gigantor from Evol Intent. I unfortunately missed the first 20 or so minutes of his set because of the haunted houses. When I got in to the hangar, there was a disappointing amount of people shown up to see the man. I mean, it can be expected when a show starts at 7 p.m., but still. Other than the small turnout, it seemed, to me at least, that the sound was off. I couldn't hear a majority of highs/mids and that didn't change much as I got further back toward the sound engineers (where the sound quality is best). Gigantor finished his set with little fanfare, which is truly unfortunate. I was really looking forward to finally seeing the group that put out Era of Diversion and so many other fantastic, classic DnB hits.


Next up, Terravita. Known for going hard, they didn't disappoint. Terravita threw down classics like 'Up In The Club'  and 'Roulette' while throwing in some new shit as well, like their remix of John B's 'Light Speed,' which got a huge reaction from the crowd. More people had started to file in by this point and MC Jon Spero really knows how to work a crowd - people even started throwing him things on stage, like their digital camera. Spero promptly made a PSA on the subject, "Don't throw electronics at me on stage! Especially your expensive digital camera!" By the end of the set, the guys were enjoying themselves as much as the crowd. Los Angeles is now the permanent home for the trio, so they always enjoy throwing down on home turf. As for the sound, it still wasn't completely perfect. Many of the highs were still absent.


As much as Terravita was able to get the crowd pumped, it was none other than Zomboy whom many of the crowd came to see. Watching as Zomboy mouthed and made faces to match all the synths he was playing was one of my greatest pleasures - all wubs, wah wahs, wryyyyys and everything in between. As far as energy on stage goes, Zomboy isn't too far behind Rusko. Another great moment was when he tried to ask for water from the stage manager, but all they had was Monster. (Like, really?) Apparently, Monster isn't one of his favorite beverages because he made a face like someone was handing him week-old sour milk. Honestly, it's really refreshing to see a producer's personality come out on stage - too many are utterly absorbed in their work that they forget that they are performing as much as they're playing music. This is the third time I've seen Zomboy and he has never disappointed. Also, we saw a special appearance by none other than SchoolboyOh, and the sound was finally fixed and working b-e-a-utifully.

As soon as Doctor P stepped up on stage toward the end of Zomboy's set, the sound level in the room at least doubled. Rarely have I been as excited for an opening track than when he dropped his 'Love Goes Down' remix. From what I can remember, I don't think I've ever heard it played live, and it's so so so good!! In comparison to Zomboy, the doctor didn't have much showmanship on stage; but he more than made up for it by throwing down some filthy dubstep that left the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. From 'Bass Cannon,' to his remix of Roksonix' 'Music In Me' he traversed his whole library of bangers and left the crowd begging for more. He finished his set up with Skrillex & Nero's remix of 'Promises' followed by Flux's remix of 'Gold Dust.' Not satisfied with two of the bassiest tracks created in recent years, the crowd screamed for an encore and the Doctor obliged. Coming back on with 'Sweet Shop' and 'Flying Spaghetti Monster,' the crowd was left exhausted and content.


All in all, while there seemed to have been some technical issues with the sound engineers early on - possibly because there weren't enough people yet? - the show was a huge success. Still, at the end, the hangar was at maybe 50% capacity. And for this line up and price (only $40), that is simply not acceptable. One fan I spoke to came all the way from San Clemente, nearly half the way to San Diego. Not having seen Doctor P since the Circus Records takeover of the Hollywood Palladium last May, I can say that I left completely satisfied with the show. Doctor P has certainly cemented his status as one of the leading dubstep producers (not necessarily the best) of the current generation [of producers] and as one of the founders of Circus Records, his success is no joke. All thanks must go to Rob Zombie in the end though for setting up such a massive line up and promoting it so heavily. And like I said at the beginning, as much as I'd like to see Destroid and Dirtyphonics next Friday, HARD Day of the Dead already has my RSVP, and I can't be an ungracious host, now can I?

No comments:

Post a Comment