Monday, October 14, 2013

[Album Review] Feed Me - Calamari Tuesday LP

Jon Gooch, a.k.a. Feed Me, has been producing since 2004 and Calamari Tuesday comes as his first full-length album under that moniker. Other releases include EPs, Feed Me's Big Adventure, Escape From Electric Mountain, To The Stars, and Death By Robot (whose title track is featured on Calamari Tuesday).

The album represents a culmination of styles that Gooch has explored over the past three years, as well as taking influence from his faster-paced alias Spor. The album has a terrific flow and rhythm, never finding any boring spots, while still allowing the listener some time to relax and really take in the masterful nature of Gooch's production.

The album doesn't follow any specific genre, but is more recognizable in style to Feed Me than many of the other releases lately. Each track is different and has its own merits while still being, at their core, a Feed Me track.


Regarding the album title, Gooch seemed to somewhat explain it in an interview with DMC -
One of the strangest travel experiences of this year was on a flight to Bermuda. I was seated opposite a woman in business class who was dependent on a constant supply of oxygen and appeared to be older than time itself. I watched her be helped to her seat and fall back into it, exhausted. She stared intensely at me for hour after hour with a cold unwavering gaze, and as I looked back I felt drawn into it, until a desperate feeling took me over and I slipped from consciousness. 

When I woke up she had gone, her seat empty as if she had never been. I rubbed my eyes and asked myself if it was a dream, until a flier fell out my top pocket. On it was a pinup girl, the same woman but younger, and she was holding a sign. I unfolded the paper to reveal what it said - it said 'Moe's Diner'. 

Then we landed and later that night I made up the album title for no reason.
So, Gooch is a bit of a jokester. But his production is no joke. 'Lonely Mountain' off his new album is one of my favorites. Especially that breakdown and down-tempo switch-up about 3:30 into it.



Not a single track on this album left me disappointed and it was certainly more than I ever expected. As for why Calamari Tuesday was released on a Monday?

No comments:

Post a Comment