Monday, October 7, 2013

Chase & Status 'Brand New Machine'


I don't know what I was expecting. From an album titled 'Brand New Machine', I expected the same Chase & Status and that's nowhere close to what they gave.

And honestly, the first listen through, I really didn't care for the album. At all. It sounded way too much like all these featured artists took over creative control and used C&S for their rhythm, drums and synths. Out of 14 tracks, three did not have featured artists - which is actually a better ratio than 'No More Idols', with 15 tracks and two without featured artists.

Then I decided to check out reviews from others - and there are some really mixed reviews.




So I decided to give it another shot.

And you know, it's not terrible. There's less drum and bass flavor, and way more down tempo with a very strong hip-hop feel - especially the tracks with Major Lazer and Pusha T. The final track - Alive - still leaves me with a good feeling though, that Chase & Status haven't lost their ability to make quality drum and bass, they've just decided to go in a different direction. And that's something I'm gonna have to deal with.

Overall, less energy and drum 'n' bass do not a bad album make. I'm interested to see how this album plays out during their live shows - whether they can still get a crowd raging or if there will be lighters in the air, people swaying and holding hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment