Sunday, August 11, 2013

SKisM & Eptic

Last night, Future Events held the one-year anniversary for their Next Level concert series. Talent included Definitive, p0gman, SKisM and Eptic. Vodex also made an impromptu appearance.

Definitive and p0gman started out and played deep and grimey dubstep. It was a lot like listening to FuntCase's tunes the whole night. But ... even FuntCase doesn't play all his own shit. So I was a little disappointed and a little bored. A friend asked me how p0gman was and I told him, and he said "So he changed his style." Perhaps he was better/different before, but that didn't show in this case.

Just as p0gman was leaving, and I was ready for a change of pace, Vodex made a surprise appearance and played more of the same. He is playing tonight for a free after-party for Next Level so last night's appearance was truly unexpected.

SKisM reached the stage at about 11:28 and just seemed to be waiting for Vodex to get off the decks so he could play his tunes. And with 4 decks, SKisM is just the kind of DJ that can mix in multiple tracks and make them sound unbelievable. The most amazing moment was him mixing Killing In The Name Of, with Robot Rock, with a little Block Rockin Beats. You can hear it for yourself below in his Lowlands 2012 mix at about 33:30.


SKisM - Live @ Lowlands 2012 by SKisM

And then Eptic... wow. From his EPs and usual style, I would not have guessed that he would play such an eclectic set. He played tracks from his new EP like Mastermind, but also had many famous new bangers like Squid Attack (FuntCase Remix) which the crowd went absolutely nuts for. But the most surprising this, is that after the second drop in Faster Than Light by Far Too Loud which goes into DnB, he kept playing drum and bass! He dropped Camo & Krooked, Sub Focus, even Hold Me Close by Flux Pavilion, which I haven't heard in a set in ages. Eptic really showed his true colors, and for many it was the set of the summer.

The best part of my night though was as I was leaving, I happened to see Skism walking along ahead of me. I called out to him and told him how great his set was, and how it was the second time I was seeing him. The last time I saw him was with Dodge & Fuski. You were opening for them down at the House of Blues. He says to me...
I fucking hated that show. I wanted to punch the sound guy in the face. Don't ever mention that show to me or anyone else ever again.
Then he laughed and said he was just kidding, but it was a pretty great moment in my book.

Skism plays today at Shambhala 2013 Music Festival and Eptic can be found next Friday at The Wall in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment