Saturday, November 16, 2013

[Album Review] David Toma - Analog

Finally - I get to do some more work to promote the little guys. Just a little over two weeks ago, I did a review for Mosh. I found out about him through reddit, and that seems to be a fine place to look for new producers who want to get their music out there. Today, I'm writing about David Toma, a musician/producer from Grand Blanc, Michigan.

David Toma Analog Album Cover
Toma has been writing/producing electronic music for only the past year and it looks like it's really starting to pay off. Analog is Toma's first LP, featuring chiptune and 8-bit tracks, released just earlier this week. As a beginning producer, it's difficult to really understand the way that these programs can make sounds (I assume). I've heard theories about "side-chaining" and "DAWs" and I'm nowhere close to even knowing what these things are. So when I hear something like Analog, it really reminds me that artists aren't made famous in a day. Despite producers like Xxyyxx or Madeon making it big at seventeen and eighteen, others take a little more time to blossom.

I believe the best indicator of whether a producer has the talent to make it or not is melody. If you have a fantastic sound, you can add little things like synths, drum patterns and such later. Toma has been playing piano for the past 10 years, and that sound really comes through on tracks like "Some Assembly Required" and "Not Responding." Using your strengths to your advantage is a required skill when venturing into uncharted territory.

Overall, Analog needs work. It was addressed in the original reddit post and Toma has acknowledged it (very humble, I like that already). The drums are a little repetitive and bland, and at times misplaced or distorted by synths. However, it is a highly enjoyable album to listen to. It's got some R&B, some funk, some glitch, but with an overall chippy tune. The distortion and noise added to the synths and piano really help to define that sound, and the drums are super plucky and upbeat. At just under an hour long, and with 16 awesome tracks, I can't see why you wouldn't pick Analog up and help a brother out. I see this man going places if he keeps it up. You can stream the whole album on his bandcamp below.




Also support him on Facebook // Twitter // Soundcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment