Tuesday, November 26, 2013

[Album Review] Clyde Machine - Je Peux. EP


Joseph Greene, aka Clyde Machine, is another one of those producers whom I've been following, thanks to reddit, for almost a year and a half. Since his first release, Now Drop The Bass, I've been keeping tabs on him and checking out his SoundCloud or Facebook whenever he has some new material. His style in the past has been largely dubstep and heavily bass-centric. This newest release, however, really gets me excited. My favorite thing in the world is seeing a producer surpass his past accomplishments, and that's exactly what Clyde Machine has done here.

Je Peux. EP is a conceptual masterstroke. The whole concept behind it is available through the Clyde Machine Facebook page, but I'll try to summarize it here -
In the rain, a man faces his own emotions - doubt, emptiness, sorrow - and in the process is swept up by the environment around him. Rain is pattering down, and it seems like it will never let up. The only thing keeping him from complete desolation is his own rationality - he looks toward the future. As he does, he thinks less of the past and is able to see past the clouds toward a horizon that looks just a little less bleak. He was alone. He is now just an individual. He was desolate. He is now hopeful. He does not forget the past; he yearns for the future.


Reading the concept and listening to the EP, it's wonderful how accurately they portray each other. I can't even really begin to describe the feelings that I get when I listen to it - Greene has translated emotion into music so acutely that it astounds me. For one, Greene's production has soared in quality. The depth of the bass and the timbre of the drums, how real they sound, makes everything about this EP sparkle. These are tracks that you would listen to when you want to make something beautiful. Second, there is real life embedded in the very heart of this release. It is the direct result of an event in the producer's life - not a run-of-the-mill "club banger."

The tracks - I Can. I Don't Want You To Go. When It Rains In The Night. - form such a wonderful sound that I find it's something that I'm going to be coming back to again and again in the future, for a long time.

Please support Clyde Machine by visiting his -

Facebook // Soundcloud // Twitter // Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment